EcoChange.org is my effort to share what I continue to learn about sustainable companies, organizations, products, resources, and practices. I hope you find this site informative, practical, and useful. 95% of the revenue generated from this site is donated to Kiva.org. The remaining 5% is used to host this site on the internets!

-Ed

1.06.2012

8 Quick tips to help ease our IMPACT:



1. Paper or Plastic? NEITHER.

Purchase Reusable Bags and keep the bags in your vehicle.

Use them for groceries, shopping at the mall, the local convenience store, everywhere you shop.



2. FAUCET AERATORS!

Replace your bathroom faucet aerators with 1.5 GPM OR LOWER models.


Also install a LOW-FLOW SHOWER HEAD LIKE THESE:(SHOWERHEADS) at EFI.COM


3. RECYCLE! 

COMPUTER PRINTER CARTRIDGES, The UNITED STATES POST OFFICE has special pre-paid envelopes you can get to send your used inkjet cartridges back for recycling. You can take larger laser print cartridges from your laser printers, copiers and fax machines to OFFICE DEPOT. They have large bins that to accept them there, also you can get STORE CREDIT for everyone you bring back in!

To find out where to recycle other computer related items such as OLD PRINTERS, COMPUTERS, MONITORS, KEYBOARDS, MICE, ETC. visit: COMPUTERTAKEBACK.COM 

DO NOT throw away burned out COMPACT FLOURESCENT LIGHT BULBS(CFL'S) They should be recycled as well because they contain a tiny amount of mercury!

DO NOT throw away dead BATTERIES or your previous CELL PHONES Check outEARTH911.ORG To find out where you can recycle these items in your local area.

Collect all your JUNK MAIL, GLOSSY PAPER, MAGAZINES, CATALOGS, NEWSPAPER in bins, and locate and drop it off in the dumpster's that recycle these types of COATED papers.





4. BIOCLEAN!

Not all bacteria are BAD!. Ask any plumber, this is the safest, best acting stuff to clean your pipes with. Its dormant bacteria that multiplies when water is added and feeds on all the scum and crap (no pun intended) in your pipes.



Call around and find out which plumber sells it for the best price or search it out over the internet and GET SOME! 

BIOCLEAN really does work wonders, our house has terrible old plumbing and this stuff really works wonders, YOU CAN EVEN USE IT IN YOUR CAT LITTER!?its that safe

*CAUTION WILL NOT WORK WITH ANTIBACTERIAL SOAP! BE SURE TO SPIT OUT ANY ALCOHOL BASED MOUTH WASH INTO THE TOILET AS WELL, ANY ALCOHOL OR ANTI-BACTERIA STUFF KILLS THIS GOOD WORKING BACTERIA IN YOUR PIPES!




5. LIGHT BULBS! 
Replace all your inefficient incandescent's with CFL's. They've made advances with this technology, you can now get CFL's that are "warm" white, meaning they diffuse a nice warm white light. (INSTEAD OF THE TYPICAL HARSH FLOURESCENT LIGHT) There are also types that come with a casing cover over the spiral (THAT LOOK SIMILIAR TO INCANDESCENTS.)

HOWEVER, Remember to RECYCLE CFL'S when they eventually burn out!

Visit: EARTH911.ORG to find out where to recycle them in your local area.

LIKE THESE: 





6. APPLIANCE SETTINGS

  • Lower the thermostat on your WATER HEATER to 120 degrees(F) or lower, play around with this setting, set it so the water never gets any hotter than you can stand.
  • Set your REFRIGERATOR to between 36-38 degrees(F)Set your FREEZER to between 0-5 DEGREES(F)
  • Keep your THERMOSTAT to between 65-68 in the WINTER and 78 in the SUMMER

7. REUSE!
Use REUSEABLE CONTAINERS to STORE FOOD instead of Aluminum foil and cling wrap.


Use REUSABLE PLATES and UTENSILS instead of DISPOSABLE PLASTIC ONES.


If you still want disposable cups and plates for a party, Opt for the PAPER plates and cups(get the sturdier ones though!). These will eventually biodegrade.


NEVER buy STYROFOAM PLATES OR CUPS!!! 
(STYROFOAM DOES NOT BIODEGRADE IN THE ENVIRONMENT!!!!!)



8. BUY LOCAL PRODUCE
Sign up for a local farms produce delivery, In the Pittsburgh area they are called CSA programs. 


Do some research to find out the programs available in your area.


FIND & FREQUENT THE CLOSEST FARMERS MARKET REGULARLY!

No comments:

Post a Comment